Corporate Giving & Community Support
At Husco, our shared values of honesty, integrity, and respect are the foundation of how we treat our teammates and our customers — they are also central to our community outreach and philanthropic efforts. We strive to give back to the communities we are part of, on both local and global levels.
2017 Husco Philanthropy Statement:
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is a concept that is receiving a lot of attention these days. The basic idea is that companies have a responsibility to engage in actions that further social good, beyond simply maximizing profits and following the law. Many companies (especially large, public ones) invest significant resources to plan, execute and publicize their CSR programs. These investments often stem from profit-maximizing motivations (boosting employee engagement, improving government relations or building brand equity).
At Husco, we have a unique perspective on what it means to be a good corporate citizen. Of course, our primary objective must be to build a strong, growing business. This enables us to expand employment and career opportunities, invest in new business ventures, pay taxes and generate financial returns for Husco’s shareholders – all worthy outcomes.
What is unique about Husco is the Ramirez Family commitment to investing a significant portion of Husco’s profits in charitable endeavors. To give you a point of reference, total corporate philanthropy in the United States represents less than 1% of pretax profits. Husco’s goal is to contribute a minimum of 10% of pretax profits each year. We often contribute significantly more than this, resulting in years like 2016 when Husco donated more to Wisconsin charities than any other business, including very large enterprises like Johnson Controls and Northwestern Mutual.
What also differentiates Husco is our focused giving. Although we support many different organizations, over 95% of what we donate is focused on K-12 education worldwide. This includes donations to colleges and universities along with scholarships for exceptional minority students and the children of Husco employees. Highlights from Husco’s 2017 charitable contributions are:
Total donations of $16.5M
- St. Augustine Preparatory Academy in Milwaukee was, by far, the largest beneficiary with over $15M of financial contributions
- Husco donated over $115,000 in matching funds alongside global employee contributions to the United Way, hurricane relief, and 15 other nonprofit agencies.
- In China, the team donated and installed bookcases at local primary schools to promote education and participated in a 5K run/walk for a local breast cancer charity
- In India, Husco provided financial and volunteering support to several local schools and helped construct a recreational facility.
- In the UK, Husco coordinated an off-road buggy STEM project with a local school and sponsored the local football team.
- Husco provided approximately 100 scholarships for Milwaukee area students and children of Husco employees.
- In total, Husco supported more than 125 unique charitable organizations
In addition to Husco’s financial contributions, Husco employees served on the board of directors for more than 25 nonprofit organizations in 2017 and volunteered their time at many more.